Law, Ethics & Communication :
Law is divided into 2 parts i.e. Business law (30 marks) & Corporate law (30 marks) .Business law refers to regulations governing the business which consists of Bonus act, Gratuity act, Employees Provident fund act, Negotiable instrument act & Contract act . Company law is levied in India through Companies act. It contains provisions for formation of companies, appointment of Directors, Shareholder meeting etc. Since companies act is over 50 years old, Government has decided to introduce new companies bill to replace the existing Companies act. Ethics (20 marks) refers to set of principles governing conduct of an individual or a group. Ethics help the business to run in the best interest of all stakeholders. Communication (20 marks) means sharing of ideas, opinion, facts, and emotions between two or more persons. Communication is essential for every person .Communication can be done with use of words or without use of words like body language, facial expressions etc.
(One paper – three hours – 100 marks)
Part I: Business Laws (60 marks)
Business Laws (30 marks)
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872.
- The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881.
- The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965.
- The Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
Company Law (30 marks)
The Companies Act, 1956 – Sections 1 to 197
- Board of Company Law Administration – National Company Law Tribunal; Appellate Tribunal.
- Incorporation of company and matters incidental thereto.
- Prospectus and allotment, and other matters relating to use of shares or debentures.
- Share capital and debentures.
- Registration of charges.
- Management and administration.
- Company Law in a computerized environment – e-filing.
Part II: Ethics (20 marks)
- Introduction to Business Ethics
The nature, purpose of ethics and morals for organizational interests; ethics and conflicts of interests; ethical and social implications of business policies and decisions; corporate social responsibility; ethical issues in corporate governance.
- Environment Issues Protecting the Natural Environment – prevention of pollution and depletion of natural resources;conservation of natural resources.
- Ethics in Workplace
Individual in the organisation, discrimination, harassment, gender equality.
- Ethics in Marketing & Consumer Protection
Healthy competition & protecting consumer’s interest.
- Ethics in Accounting and Finance
Importance, issues and common problems.
Part III: Communication (20 marks)
- Elements of Communication
- Forms of communication: formal and informal, inter-departmental, verbal and non-verbal; active listening and critical thinking.
- Presentation skills including conducting meeting, press conference.
- Planning and composing business messages.
- Communication channels.
- Communicating corporate culture, change, innovative spirits.
- Communication breakdowns.
- Communication ethics.
- Groups dynamics; handling group conflicts, consensus building; influencing and persuasion skills; negotiating and bargaining.
- Emotional intelligence – emotional quotient.
- Soft skills – personality traits; interpersonal skills; leadership.
- Communication in Business Environment
- Business Meetings – Notice, Agenda, Minutes, Chairperson’s speech.
- Press releases.
- Corporate announcements by stock exchanges.
- Reporting of proceedings of a meeting.
- Basic Understanding of Legal Deeds and Documents
- Partnership deed.
- Power of Attorney.
- Lease deed.
- Indemnity bond.
- Gift deed.
- Memorandum and articles of association of a company.
- Annual Report of a company.